The National Social Business Challenge is an annual program focused on promoting social entrepreneurship and job creation in Nepal. It is organized by Yunus Social Business Centre Nepal, King’s college in collaboration with like-minded organizations and aims on fostering the most feasible ideas that help to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
It was initiated by King’s college and facilitates a series of workshops/boot camps throughout Nepal in order to reach the youth from all 7 provinces and aware them about social entrepreneurship, venture creation, and SDGs. The locations include Dhangadhi, Dailekh, Nepalgunj, Birgunj, Chitwan, Pokhara, Janakpur, Biratnagar, Kathmandu and Kavre.
The partnering companies for this year are Clock b Business Innovations, YSBC, Noble College, Blincventures.com, Himalayan Climate Change Initiative, Nepal Communitere, Innovate Birgunj and Young Innovations.
Dates for boot camps:
Biratnagar – June 1
Dharan –June 3
Birgunj – May 27
Janakpur – TBD
Chitwan – May 30
Kathmandu – June 4
Pokhara – June 1
Butwal – TBD
Dang – May 24
Nepalgunj – May 17
Surkhet – TBD
Dhangadi – May 19
Blincventures.com will be joining the boot camps happening in Birgunj and Pokhara on May 27 and June 1 respectively. The application deadline for Birgunj boot camp is 25th May and for Pokhara boot camp is 22nd May. For registration, please contact YSBC, Novel Academy for registration or call them on 9869084852.
- to develop the basic observation, understanding, and importance of initiating social organizations as one of the instruments in solving social economic inequity.
- to inculcate an entrepreneurial way of thinking and working among the youths.
- to inspire youths to actively take part in the creation of social businesses contributing towards reducing the inequality through this whole process.
As such, it invites applications to participate in designing, presenting and implementing the most achievable venture ideas to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. These include Social and Economic Development Issues: poverty, hunger, health, education, global warming, gender, equality, water, sanitation, energy, urbanization, environment and social justice.
- Cash prizes:
Title Prize: Rs.1 Lakh Cash and Opportunity to Pitch at World Innovation Forum, Switzerland. (All cost covered)
Thematic Prize: Rs. 50,000 (For 4 different teams under different thematic areas)
- 8 weeks of mentorship support provided to all the shortlisted teams leading up to the semi-finals of the competition.
- The teams which make it to the grand finale will be given an opportunity to pitch for incubation at King’s Incubator, King’s College.
Apart from these, there are a lot of benefits that will be provided to the incubates.
- Those who have been intending to create a social venture that aligns with SDGs.
- Those who already have been operating a social venture from 0-1 year that is contributing towards the achievement of any SDGs.
- Must be 16-40 years old.
A group of 2-3 Nepalese youths is encouraged to be part of this program as nothing can be achieved in isolation and silos.
Application Deadline: June 15th, 2019
For more information, visit the 4th National Social Business Challenge 2019.
Or apply now through this link.